Why Frankford Friends?
FFS is a Quaker school in the heart of Philadelphia. Our students explore, problem-solve, and work together to expand their understanding of themselves and the world beyond. Children of all faiths and all ethnic, racial, and economic backgrounds are welcomed to our community.
As a Friends school, we look for the Light in everyone and help children to discover how they can uniquely shine. Through learning who they are and developing respect for the gifts and strengths of others, our students grow the courage and confidence to sustain and improve their world. They learn that no one accomplishes great things alone – we all work together to learn, to create, and to serve our community.
FFS embodies the Friends testimonies of simplicity and the careful stewardship of resources, offering the lowest tuition of any Friends school in the region. Our students learn to appreciate the beauty of these testimonies, developing strong core values through meaningful projects and regular opportunities for quiet reflection and thoughtful discussion.
Our outstanding academic program prepares our graduates to thrive in the selective public and private high schools they attend. Frankford Friends School’s curriculum emphasizes the 21st-century skills of critical thinking, teamwork, creativity, and problem-solving. Whether learning to code a robot in the Innovation Workshop, helping a younger child build a structure at the Nature Learning Lab, or conducting research for the Frankford Historical Society, hands-on learning helps children to grow cognitively, emotionally, socially, and physically.
Frankford Friends School students are intellectually curious, engaged, and care deeply about each other and the world outside of themselves. They become adults who use their strengths and passions to make the world a better place.
Highlights of our 2018-2019 program include:
- IDEA Lab (Innovation, Design, Engineering, Art) programming expands upon the STEM curriculum and is centered around project-based learning. Students will dive into the design process in a hands-on way, developing and creating projects. They will learn the process of design and design thinking, and solve problems creatively in small groups to help encourage positive risk-taking.
- Social Studies and Science curriculum framed by the UN Sustainable Development Goals, a universal call to action by the United Nations to end poverty, protect the planet, and ensure that all people enjoy peace and prosperity. It focuses on issues of equality, social justice, and stewardship throughout the world.
A Library Program that includes books located at the students’ fingertips at FFS as well as a partnership with the Frankford Public Library. The Frankford Public Library has a beautiful collection of books and plenty of room to browse. Students and teachers are able to make a simple online request to access any book housed in the City’s library system within 24 hours. Classes walk several blocks to the library to peruse the collection, check out books with their own library cards, listen to stories, and do research.
- The NEST (for Nature, Exploration, Science, and Technology Investigations), a .5 acre space dedicated to play and outdoor exploration.
- Music and Performing Arts that includes music & movement, strings ensemble, choir, theater, and an all school musical.
- Spanish in every grade – PreK-4 (twice weekly), grade 5 (three times weekly), and grades 6-8 (daily).
- Physical Education for all students.
- Service Learning Program
- High School Admissions Program
Frankford Friends School has an enrollment of 171 students and is under the care of Frankford Monthly Meeting. It is located in the Frankford Section of Philadelphia. Our students come from every neighborhood in the city and a few outside the city.